University Students

Who Receives a 1098-T?
All students who paid qualified educational expenses, earned academic credit in the tax year (January 1 – December 31), and have a valid ITIN/SSN on file in the my.UChicago portal will receive a 1098-T statement.

If you are a non-resident alien and do not have a valid ITIN/SSN on file in the myUChicago student portal and wish to receive a 1098-T you must submit your TIN/SSN to the Office of the Registrar.

If you are a non-resident alien and are not eligible for an ITIN/SSN you are not eligible for a 1098-T Tuition Statement.

If you would like to update your Social Security Number you must visit  The Office of the University Registrar for information on how to submit a change to your SSN or TIN with the University. Chicago Booth School of Business students can contact the Booth Registrar’s Office to update their SSN or ITIN.  

Understanding Your 1098-T
The 1098-T Statement is ONLY used for claiming  Education Tax Benefits for qualified educational expenses.

The 1098-T is NOT intended nor should be used to determine taxability of scholarships, fellowships, stipends or grants received and does not include this or any stipend disbursement information. Please visit Shared Services to review University Income Tax Reporting Documents available to assist students in determining if you have taxable income.

New: Beginning with the 2017 Tax Year the University of Chicago will be reporting all payments made toward qualified expenses (tuition, student services fee and course related fees) in Box 1 of the 1098-T.

Detail supporting the amounts provided on the 1098T is available to students through the Student Portal on myUChicago to provide further assistance in understanding your 1098-T Tax Benefit eligibility. This detail is also viewable on your EBill statements also available through the Student Portal on myUChicago.

For additional questions regarding your 1098-T please contact The Office of the University Bursar for assistance.

Accessing Your 1098-T
US Postal Mail

All eligible students receive a hard copy 1098-T statement postmarked no later than January 31st. College students will receive at their permanent residence and Graduate students will receive at their physical address listed in myUChicago.

Online Access

Online access to the 1098-T is available through the myUChicago portal. Go to myFinances – EBill/EPay.

Authorized payers may access the 1098-T through the Authorized Payer Portal.

Go to How to Enroll Authorized Payers to grant or update access.