External Scholarships are monetary scholarships received from a third-party organization to assist with educational costs.
Students, or their External Scholarship Organizations, may submit External Scholarships to the University of Chicago Office of the Bursar for application toward the Student’s Account balance due.
All scholarships submitted to the Office of the University Bursar are included in your anticipated aid calculation and are reported to your Financial Aid Office before they are applied to your Student Account.
The University of Chicago will honor the direction of application of the scholarship if information is provided by the External Scholarship Organization at the time of submission. If no specific information is provided, application will be determined by your Financial Aid Office.
To ensure your External Scholarship is received and processed before your Bill Due Date please submit you External Scholarship by the corresponding priority deadline listed below. External Scholarships received after the priority deadline may be subject to delays and may impact your Student Account balance due.
Autumn 2021 – September 6, 2021 Winter 2022 – December 6, 2021
Spring 2022 – March 7, 2022 Summer 2022 – June 7, 2022
External Scholarship Processing Guidelines
Students, or their External Scholarship Organization, may directly submit External Scholarship Scholarships to the University of Chicago Office of the Bursar for processing according to the following guidelines.
Delivery of Funds
All External Scholarships require the following information to accompany funds:
- Student Name
- Student ID Number
- External Scholarship Organization Name
- External Scholarship Organization Address, Email
- External Scholarship Disbursement Information
External Scholarship Organizations or the student may submit funds to the University of Chicago through the following methods:
1. Paper Check
Please mail your paper check to our office at the address listed below. If the check is made payable to the student “AND” The University of Chicago it must be endorsed. Please write “For Deposit Only University of Chicago” on the back of the check and sign on the endorsement line before submitting.
Mail check directly to: Office of the University Bursar
External Scholarship Processing
6030 S Ellis Ave Chicago, IL 60637*
*Any other University address used, including any Financial Aid Office, will result in processing delays.
2. ACH Credit /Bank Wire Information for Organizations *
If your organization is transmitting funds via Bank Wire/ACH, please contact our office for information at bursar.uchicago.edu/contactus.
W-9 Request for Tax Payer Identification Number
If your External Scholarship Organization requires a W-9 or other documentation from the University prior to processing a scholarship disbursement, please forward your request and required documents to the Office of the University Bursar.
External Scholarship Disbursement Process
Once funds are received, your External Scholarship is processed according to the following guidelines:
- The Office of the Bursar receives your External Scholarship and will notify you of receipt to your official UChicago email account.
- The Office of the University Bursar notifies your Financial Aid Office of your External Scholarship.
- Your Financial Aid Office reviews the scholarship and either:
a. Prepares your External Scholarship for disbursement (2-3 weeks processing time); OR
b. Rejects the Scholarship and requests it be returned to the External Scholarship Organization.
4. Once your scholarship is prepared for disbursement you may view this on your Financial Aid in UChicago. External Scholarships are scheduled for disbursement across the academic year and generally disburse 10 days before the beginning of a quarter (if received by the priority deadline).
5. If you do not attend, withdraw or reduce your enrollment your External Scholarship will be refunded to you directly and you will be responsible for returning funds to your External Scholarship Organization.
For further questions regarding submitting your External Scholarship for processing please contact The Office of the University Bursar.For further questions regarding your scholarships and the impact of the External Scholarship please contact your Financial Aid Office.