Do I need to file a partial-year resident state tax return if I am only in Illinois for college (I am from another state)?

Maybe. Earnings are typically reported in the state in which they are earned. If you are receiving reportable income from The University of Chicago, you may have a reporting requirement in Illinois (after reviewing minimum filing requirements). If you also earned income in another state, you are encouraged to review the filing requirements for that state. Please note the following states do not have a state income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington & Wyoming. Tennessee and New Hampshire only tax dividend and interest income, not earned income.